Following the successful incorporation of carbon fibre cone technology in the Carbon Pro Series, ProAc have been researching other materials for possible inclusion in their high end loudspeakers. The results of this research have come to fruition in the shape of the new K series which utilises cones manufactured from the material, Kevlar. Kevlar benefits from having similar properties to carbon fibre, being light and at the same time rigid. The ProAc 6 1/2" drivers utilised in the K6 feature Kevlar cones made by the same special method as our carbon fibre coned drive units; the cone is painstakingly produced from a mould by hand, a labour intensive process taking many hours to complete.
Although Kevlar has proven to be an excellent cone material sonically, the Kevlar ProAc bass drivers require a different porting mechanism in order to realise their full potential. The bass is loaded by an almost invisible vent to produce a wonderfully weighty but exceptionally fast bass response. These drivers are seamlessly crossed over to a 2" dome midrange, the horn of which is manufactured from billet aluminium and for the high frequencies, ProAc's proven ribbon tweeter has been chosen. The cabinet on the K6 is a traditional mixture from ProAc of HDF materials of different thicknesses heavily damped with bitumen. Indeed the carcass including bitumen is 35mm thick. The combination of research into carbon fibre and its ingredients have produced a stunningly accurate and detailed loudspeaker, having an electrostatic or panel quality without the drawbacks. Sound is reproduced effortlessly with incredible detail and pinpoint imagery, which often can be muddled by conventional drive units.
The K6 is designed for audiophiles and music lovers who are looking for a true high end loudspeaker offering smooth reproduction and an impressively flat response throughout the frequency range. The legendary ProAc qualities of large soundstaging and pin-sharp imaging capabilities complete a highly musical and engaging transducer.
- 3-way system full-size floor standing loudspeaker
- special order
- 35mm HDF cabinet construction, dampened with bitumen and mount to a HDF plinth
- down firing bass-reflex port terminates into plinth
- lightweight ribbon tweeter with rear damping
- 76mm (3") carbon fibre impregnated dome midrange driver loaded into a carbon fibre horn
- 2x 165mm (6.5") pure polymer resin impregnated Kevlar coned woofers with zinc basket
- multi-strand oxygen free copper internal wiring
- bi-wire/bi-amp capability
- 25Hz-30kHz frequency response
- 4 ohm nominal impedance
- 90 dB sensitivity
- 10 watt minimum, 250 watts maximum
- 44kg (97lbs) per side
- 1185mm (46") H, 215mm (8.5") W, 340mm (13.5") D
- Standard Finishes: cherry, black ash, mahogany
- Optional Finishes: ebony, rosewood, Tamo Ash, Dark Eucalyptus
- Special Order Finish: silk white